Full course description
The aim of this module is to provide students with theoretical and practical appreciation of marketing knowledge that stimulate consumers' cognition, affection and behavioral consumption of products. In depth analysis of marketing practices and trends will allow students to understand important marketing applied in marketplace.
Dr Vai Shiem
Dr Vai Shiem received her PhD in Marketing from University of Nottingham, UK. She graduated from Griffith University, Australia with Master of Marketing Management and Bachelor of Business Administration from Universiti Brunei Darussalam. Vai's primary research interest lie in advertising and service marketing. To draw out greater understandings into these two domains, consumer cognition process and emotional interpretation of cues are important aspects providing insights into their roles on consumer perception, attitudes, behavioral intention or consumption choice; and advertising effectiveness or branding in the service sector. residing in Asia, her research naturally span into cultural dimensions-including Islamic values and Chinese practices-denoting the increasing importance of examining cultural influences on marketing strategies. In 2008, her paper presented at the Academy of Marketing Annual Conference, hosted by University of Aberdeen was awarded the best paper for the Services Marketing track.
Online forums will be used to support the scaffolding of knowledge, understanding and abilities. The teaching style will include video conferencing, discussion forums and activity based learning techniques. The focus of the teaching style will be determined through learning diagnostics, undertaken by students, which will identify learning styles needs. A cooperative learning framework is used as a means of supporting equity for both teaching and learning styles.
What you get
- Understand, recognise and define important fundamentals about marketing, marketing in society, ethics and responsible marketing, psychology, consumer behaviour and market research.
- Identify factors that influence consumers' decisions under various market environment and circumstances.
- Analyse market characteristics and environments, marketplace activities from marketing standpoints and interpret marketing problems.
- Apply theories and finding from behavioural sciences to marketing strategies.
- Prepare reports on marketing issues challenges based on research finding.